Hi,

> > But I also have a simpler idea that will still speed things up. It
> > involves using a regexp SQL fulltext search. While it's definitely slow
> > compared to a changed storage (the db won't be able to use indexes),
> > it's still faster because it does not involve any parsing, and uses the
> > well-tuned SQL server code to do fulltext searching.

That will still be awfully slow because the database has to read every
single page, lot of expensive I/O.

For PostgreSQL there is Tsearch2 [1], Oracle has built in full text
search as far as I know, what about MySQL? I think it would be better to
use special functions if they are available.

[1] http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/

Thomas
--
http://www.tmueller.com for pgp key (95702B3B)