Thomas Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>> > But I also have a simpler idea that will still speed things up. It
>> > involves using a regexp SQL fulltext search. While it's definitely slow
>> > compared to a changed storage (the db won't be able to use indexes),
>> > it's still faster because it does not involve any parsing, and uses the
>> > well-tuned SQL server code to do fulltext searching.
>
> That will still be awfully slow because the database has to read every
> single page, lot of expensive I/O.

Not any slower than requesting, parsing, and searching every message like
we are now! I think it's an excellent idea: first, REGEXP for messages
that might match, then parse those to see if they match in the right place
(specific header, body, etc.).

> For PostgreSQL there is Tsearch2 [1], Oracle has built in full text
> search as far as I know, what about MySQL? I think it would be better to
> use special functions if they are available.

MySQL's MyISAM tables can do FULLTEXT, but not InnoDB. Bummer.

Aaron