Magnus Sundberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Jesse Norell wrote:
>>   Along these lines, and admittedly maybe not a great idea, would it seem
>> desirable to add a config item that sets a "mode" for dbmail that either
>> does as much work itsself vs. using the database features, or vice-versa?
>> Might not be terribly useful, but if you could make dbmail perform at it's
>> peak no matter which kind of setup...
>
> Please not, it becomes another permutation to test! Move the work
> to the client! 65% server work  and 35% client work adds upp to
> 100% if the client and server are running on the same machine,
> otherwhise we can offload the server a little bit.
>
> The only question remaining, is how expensive is it to move data
> from the server to the client?

Just to be pedantic, by 'server' we're talking about the database and by
'client' we're talking about DBMail itself. The IMAP client is way off in
the distance on this issue ;-)

It would be good to know what kind of time it takes to transmit either the
11,000 rows I got from my first LIKE in 30 seconds vs. the 19,000 rows I
got in the second one, in 12 seconds, which, btw, was also searching
bodies.

I'm not sure how I would benchmark this. Test harness probably?

Aaron