Come to think of it. Since lmtp is basically a persistent connection with the MTA, I'm not sure how often the mta opens and closes connections with the lmtpd.

It's the opening and closing of socket connections that is relevant for maxconnects, not the number of messages sent over a single connection. So this may not be much of a solution for your problem if you're sending massive amounts of messages in a row.

The way to test it is by reducing the MAXCONNECTS to 1 and see howoften the server code kills and respawns the children involved.

Wolfram A. Kraushaar wrote:
There is a workaround: lower the MAXCONNECTS value

Not exactly optimal I know. But better restart the preforked children rather that loosing a lot of memory right?

Paul,

a little question to this workaround: How low should MAXCONNECTS be set? I changed the value from the default 10000 to 100 and the 6 dbmail-lmtpd childs on my box are right back at 16 Megs per process
just after inserting approx. 1200 mails.

Hm I'll give ulimit a try on dbmail-lmtpd...

--
Wolfram