Found the sigpipe bug I believe.

If the mysql connection disappears for some reason (idle timeout, or mysql restart), the dbmail process should reconnect. It does so for normal queries, but in the case of authentication the mysql connection is used for escaping the login/password sequences without checking the connection to the backend.

Solution is to call db_check_connection before calling mysql_real_escape_string.

This is caused by a change the was checked in early november. So this was not caused in any way by last minute checkins.

Personally I don't see much value in extending the release process. If people don't test cvs snapshots, they won't test release candidates.

Anyway, I'll check in the fix for this problem together with some significant search speedups in a couple of minutes.

Aaron Stone wrote:
""[EMAIL PROTECTED]"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

Right now for minor versions we have CVS, which I don't think have enough people testing on, and immediate release.

There are also CVS snapshots, which at least clear the hurdle for those
who don't like to manually check out packages. But it still fails the "did
it change? what changed?" criteria you mention earlier in your posting.

Snapshots on a daily schedule, *iff* there has been a change since the
last snapshot would probably alleviate this problem.

New model for minor point releases:

CVS --> Feature Freeze --> 1-2 Week of RC testing (RC every 4 days or whenever a large bug is found/fix, which ever is first) --> Release.

Sure, count my vote for this procedure, too.

Aaron