Matthew O'Connor wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure of the performance or
> sorting implications of this either, but I can look into it.  What are
> you most concerned about losing?

reliability and performance of 'ORDER BY' is my main concern here.

> Are you sure that imap-sort won't behave as expected if we convert the
> header columns to bytea?

No, I just don't know.

> Does gmime have the ability to convert to any number of encodings? Could
> we specify in dbmail.conf that our database uses a specific encoding and
> have gmime do the conversion before it hits the database?

gmime uses utf8 internally all over. Casting strings from anything to
utf8 is very simple. It does *not* provide interfaces to encode into
*anything*; just locale->utf8 and utf8->locale

I'll test whether SQL_ASCCI tables will accept utf8 encoded strings. If
that's the case people can select either, so postgres users won't have
to convert their tables at all. (big plus).

>> Also: is there a procedure to change the encoding on a table in
>> postgresql?
>
> Not an easy one, changing the encoding is painful.

I suspected as much.

  Paul Stevens                                      paul at nfg.nl
  NET FACILITIES GROUP                     GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31
  The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl