Paul J Stevens wrote:

message deletion can be dealt with by *not* running 'dbmail-util -py'. In that
case message status will be kept at 2, being invisible to the daemons, but still
there in the database.

Yes, this exactly what I want. Would be the process of restoring the emails?

mailbox deletion is slightly more difficult. I would probably make sure that
deleted mailboxes are not deleted as such, but renamed to something like:

check imapcommands.c,_ic_delete where at the end you find a call
'db_delete_mailbox'.  That would be your starting point. Or even better, change
the behaviour of 'db_delete_mailbox'.

Hrm... Well, since the first solution was satisfied without modifying any code, I'll probably just use a trigger to insert the deleted folders into a separate table.

Thanks!

Erik