> - make sure mailboxes are re-assigned when a user is deleted (trigger)

Doesn't this (at a higher level) sound a bit as the same "mistake" with
deleting mailboxes versus messages?
If we start using archive to be able to restore accidental mailboxes,
at some point there will also be someone asking, I deleted user X
by mistake, where are all those messages?

Furthermore, the moving to archive can become default what I'm concerned,
just adding it to dbmail-util to get a cyclic delete (like messages) can
be dbmail archive=yes parameter dependend.