On Sonntag 26 Juli 2009 Mantis Bug Tracker wrote:
> I think you can close this. Query's that were not processed got queue
> by MySQL and inserted when table gets unlocked.
> To confirm this, i filled an account with 2GB of email, deleted all
> them, started dbmail-util, and send a messages in this form:
>
> echo blabla|mail m...@domain.com -s "test1"
> echo blabla|mail m...@domain.com -s "test2"
>
> and so on, and get several that gave the lock timeout error, but
> after dbmail-util finishes, i have all emails on the destination
> account. So, no problem at all this!

I think the problem was when dbmail-util runs so long (30 minutes) that
the lmtp process times out on an insert, because there's a limit on how
long the DBMS waits for a select/insert etc.

What I did not understand:
Is it that the e-mail gets lost when that happens? That would be a bug.
If it just times out and gets re-queued in postfix, it will be delivered
later anyway. Then the only problem is that the query takes too long.
AFAIK it's good optimized, so if it takes too long the DBMS or the
hardware need some tuning. Please do not split up a good query that
works.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4