> What I did not understand:
> Is it that the e-mail gets lost when that happens? That would be a bug.

Doesn't get lost, it's resent when the DB is available.
I've tested that 3 times and no email got lost.

> If it just times out and gets re-queued in postfix, it will be
> delivered later anyway. Then the only problem is that the query takes
> too long.
> AFAIK it's good optimized, so if it takes too long the DBMS or the
> hardware need some tuning. Please do not split up a good query that
> works.

It may require some tuning I believe.
If it can be tuned for better performance, good.
If not, in the future when I'll have 50GB of data, this will be a nightmare,
right now I have 20GB.

Hardware can also be upgraded in the future to help on this, but I keep
saying that 20GB of data it's not a big DB.