While having the message_idnr serve as the unique_id makes sense
initially, I believe that it would be problematic for backups and
migrations. Explaining to the users that they need to download all
messages again because of a change on the server side isn't pretty.

Granted, that's what you're suggesting to do here, but perhaps there's a
more elegant solution that avoids this step...

Aaron