Paul J Stevens wrote:
Aaron Stone wrote:
I'm not convinced that there's much point to having another bridge table
for the headers. We're not talking about very much data, and I'd be
concerned that we would be killing off some useful indexes for fast header
retrievals.

Wrong on both counts: we are talking about a lot of data that can be accesses a
lot faster if we can normalize the table.
Wouldn't a client generally request all the header information in one hit though? It seems to me it might well be faster to keep it all on one block rather than try and join a whole bunch of teensy bits of information together. Basically for a small file the seek time is more important than the file size. For a larger file seek time is less important.
That's my thoughts anyway.