Hi,

I didn't think it was "hot". I have seen this argument a few times
before, comparing apples and oranges and suggesting that dbmail does it
the wrong way and should change. Yes dbmail has a niche and it excels in
situations where filesystem-based mail systems can't cut it, and that's
why I'm using it. For those who think filesystem-based mail systems are
better for them, I say go for it! Not everyone has the same
requirements.

To address your two points though:

I have found that since linux kernel 2.6 series, LVM snapshots have
caused system lockups. I used it happily in the 2.4 series. Besides
that, I did mention *impact-free*. Adding a snapshot and reading from a
snapshot severely impacts the speed of the running system. Yes you get a
clean backup, but the hard disk is being placed under a huge read
strain, not to mention the extra COW load for every write to the
filesystem.

I believe that dbmail on MySQL requires the use of InnoDB, which I
believe (or has this recently changed?) does not support Full Text
Index. Maybe using something like Sphinx as a bolt-on would be handy for
doing IMAP searches. I generally sync all my emails to my desktop
machine and do any searches on the local copies. Then searches don't
impact the servers :)