Folks,
This is indeed an achievement with great potential! Thanks to Max and Paul
for enabling this Mapping Sprint, and thanks to all of the awesome editors!

Take a look at this gimmick I hacked up yesterday.
http://mappings.dbpedia.org/sprint/

We've had fantastic improvement in coverage not only in English but also in
other languages such as Portuguese, Polish and Greek. This was just a first
sprint, and I think we should use it as a starting point for an ongoing race
for excellence!

The Portuguese-language community is leading the property mapping race
with 63.87% property occurrences mapped. This means that entities in the
Portuguese DBpedia will have relatively more properties in the /ontology/
namespace.

Meanwhile, the Polish-language community is leading the template mapping
race with 82.98% of template occurrences mapped. This means that the
Polish-language will contain the highest percentage of typed entities.

The Greek-language community has mapped the highest percentage of templates
in one language (44.93%), but those templates do not seem to be necessarily
the most commonly occurring ones. Therefore their numbers (77.44%) were a
bit lower than the Polish for template occurrences.

A couple of things should be noted.

First, remember that these numbers are relative to the size of the
language-specific Wikipedias. Therefore it is likely that English will still
have the highest absolute number of properties, typed entities, etc. But the
English-speaking community is also the largest. Since in general I expect
the Wikipedias to be proportional to the size of the communities, I think
that these percentages are not too bad as a number to for us to playfully
race between the languages.

Second, since the English DBpedia is at the core of the
internationalization, each language should also put some effort into that
one. I think English is not on the race and its results will reflect the
collective success of the international community.

Third, and most importantly, quantity does not mean quality. We have managed
to cover some ground, now we need to assess the material we used for
covering it. We hope and trust that the communities have generated some
fresh juicy data from which everybody will be able to benefit. I hope this
sprint will be followed with applications using this data in practice, which
will help us to assess the usefulness of the data.

If you create something awesome with DBpedia, consider sending it to one of
the challenges:

OCAS: Ontologies come of Age in the Semantic Web
http://ocas.mywikipaper.org/?q=node/8

Semantic Web Challenge
http://challenge.semanticweb.org/

Cheers,