Hi,

I've been looking at the people in dbpedia and have some questions
about how resources are/aren't assigned particular types, and how data
is generated for the data dumps & for the dbpedia live instance. I've
highlighted the questions separate from my investigations.

While there are a lot of different sub-classes for "person", there
seem to be three primary classes used to describe people:

* foaf:Person
* dbpedia-owl:Person
* yago:Person100007846

Firstly, I can see that dbpedia-owl:Person is defined to be an
equivalent class to foaf:Person so I had naively expected every
foaf:Person to also be a dbpedia-owl:Person. But this doesn't seem to
be the case. For example:

http://dbpedia.org/resource/Sir_John_Acton,_6th_Baronet
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Louis_Royer

In both cases, these resources have types of yago:Person100007846 &
foaf:Person but not dbpedia-owl:Person.

Q1: how can someone people a foaf:Person but not a dbpedia-owl:Person?

Secondly, there are people who have only the type yago:Person100007846:

http://dbpedia.org/resource/Claus_Sluter

Q2: how can someone be a yago:Person100007846 but not have the other two types?

Trying to dig a little deeper I looked at the wikipedia page for Claus
Sluter. It appears that the page uses the Persondata template, which
includes a date of death:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Claus_Sluter&action=edit

I compared that to another artist, Louis Royer which also uses the
Persondata template:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Louis_Royer&action=edit

That resource *is* defined as a foaf:Person. So I'm confused why both
of these resources don't have a type of foaf:Person. The only
difference I can see is that there's also a birthdate for that person.

Q3: is the mapping to specific types sensitive to data in the templates?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Several times recently I've
struggled to reliably query for people in dbpedia and it'd be great to
get some of the inconsistencies identified/explained.

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds