On 10/11/2011 12:43, kevin carter wrote:
Hello thanks for your help with the postcode query. The reason I ask
is I have over the past five years been making a digital public
artwork called www.landscape-Portrait.com. This has involved me and
various collaborators working with communities and encouraging them to
record their own profile of an area as a counterpoint to that provided
by postcode demographics - see www.landscape-portrait.com.

I am now in the position of having an archive of geo stamped video
portraits of various locations in the UK and I wanted to link these to
postcode. My first thought was to do this via Wikipedia/DBpedia; does
this sound plausible ?, I am somewhat of a newbie to the world of
linked data.

Any thoughts of advice would be appreciated,
I think the Ordnance Survey postcodes Linked Data should work for you. The URLs are constructed from the postcode itself in a logical way, e.g. my postcode of RH15 8JA has this URL:

http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/id/postcodeunit/RH158JA

so you don't need a fancy lookup service to find out what the correct URL is for a given postcode.

If you access this URL in a browser you will see that there is a lot of useful information, including lat/long and administrative areas. Access it as RDF (by content negotiation - or by sticking '.rdf' on the end!) and you get back a machine-processible version of this information.

Presumably you want to create a linked data description of each of your videos which includes the postcode? Is the intention to put these descriptions up on Wikipedia, or will you be creating your own online resource?

Richard
Kevin Carter.