You have a point there,
but I didn't go that deep when I customized the extractor :)

Although we only keep images with open licences, a "Wikipedia guy" would be
more appropriate to answer for all the legal implications.
What I did was just to look for patterns in image usage in the Greek
Wikipedia and nothing else.
Tested my results, they seemed OK and I thought that this was the way for
other Wikipedia/DBpedia editions as well.
We are always open for corrections / improvements;)

Cheers,
Dimitris

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Julien Cojan <julien.co...@inria.fr> wrote:

>  Thanks for your reply Dimitris,
>
> However I don't get about the implications on the usability in different
> countries.
> Does this means that some English wikipedia pages could be breaking the
> law in France ?
>
> And what about languages spoken in different countries ?
> Do DBpedia dumps for English pages only abide by the US regulation or does
> it take the most restrictive over all English speaking countries ?
>
> Cheers,
> Julien
>

> On 01/24/2012 03:28 PM, Dimitris Kontokostas wrote:
>
> Hi Julien,
>
> Licence terms are in fact templates and are defined serarately for each
> language.
> This is the reason the English Wikipedia has only one template for
> non-free licence ({{non-free}}) while other languages like Greek do not.
> In Greek we have a seratate template for every licence, so we had to
> manually find which ones are "non-free".
> I guess you 'll have to do something similar for French too...
>
> Cheers,
> Dimitris
>
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Julien Cojan <julien.co...@inria.fr>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to undestand the configuration of the ImageExtractor.
>> The extractor parses first the commons dump to look for non-free licence
>> terms in the images description pages.
>> These terms are given in the ImageExtractorConfig file.
>> However I don't understand why is there a different list of terms for
>> each language.
>> As I understand there is only one wikimedia commons version with a
>> different interface for each language. The source pages are supposed to
>> be in english right ?
>>
>> Best,
>> Julien

> Kontokostas Dimitris