On 2/21/2012 8:47 AM, Richard Light wrote:

> This seems to be quite a common error: I have tripped over three or
> four dbpedia URLs containing ampersands in the course of the morning.
> Unfortunately they b****r up any resource which mentions them, as well
> as their "home page".  Thus I can't access the resource describing
> lions because it contains a reference to:
>
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/List_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons_3.5_edition_monsters
> (!)

     My first impression was disappointment that I can't find how many
hit dice that monsters like this have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_monster

     (Maybe somebody just has to RDFize the monster database from Nethack)

     The amperstands,  of course,  can be blamed on Wikipedia,  which
uses them extensively,  and generations of web browsers which have been
tolerant of broken HTML.  Yep,  you can write <a
href="http://dbpedia.org/resource/List_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons_3.5_edition_monsters";>...</a>

and have it work almost the way that you want.

     In general it's part of the problem that URL (URI) encoding is
screwy in DBpedia,  the problems don't seem to be completely understood
(it seems like there is more than one "standard" to conform to) and
nobody is interested in doing anything about it.

     If you can wait a month or so a RDF product will be become
available that will will be broadly similar to DBpedia in scope but will
be lacking these problems and most of the other problems too.  (Although
it won't have all of those delicious "List of" pages)