Hi Dimitris,

2013/1/10 Dimitris Kontokostas <jimk...@gmail.com>

> Hi Andrea,
>

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Andrea Di Menna <ninn...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have questions regarding group of infoboxes/templates which are
>> designed to be used together to provide additional data for a resource.
>>
>> Specifically, I have been checking the Infobox "Template:Starbox begin"
>> [1] (and the other templates in the same "group").
>> This template should be used in conjuction with other templates to add
>> properties to articles which refer to stars.
>>
>> If I check which pages link to that template I see that there are
>> hundreds [2], while in the mappings page it seems to occur only in one
>> article [3] [3b]
>>
>> One of the articles which actually uses that template in Wikipedia is
>> Algol (dbpedia: [4], wikipedia: [5]).
>> As you can see it used the "Template:Starbox begin" when the dbpedia
>> extraction was run (from what I can see in the old revision).
>> But on dbpedia, Algol is not using "Template:Starbox begin", moreover it
>> has a dbpedia-owl:Writer rdf:type since there is a Infobox_writer in the
>> article.
>>
>> My questions are:
>> 1) are the "Template:Starbox begin" occurrences correct in the mappings
>> statistics page?
>>

> There is a minPropertyCount limit in the statistics to reduce general
> purpose templates and it is set to '2'. Starbox_begin template has only
> one label property and that is why it is miscalculated.
> There must be one wrong instance with two properties defined that's why
> you see only one.

I think the wrong instance was http://dbpedia.org/resource/Kepler-33 which
was missing closing brackets in the Starbox_begin template [1].
The typo has been corrected after the release of dbpedia 3.8 [2], in fact
in live DBpedia there is no entity known to be using that template.

My questions are then:
1) are the statistics calculated on dbpedia data or on wikipedia live data?
2) are the templates with numOfProperties < minPropertyCount only hidden
from the templates or also not processed during mappings extraction?
Hiding them from the statistics makes sense to me, but if it is possible to
create mappings for them I would like to understand how a DBpedia mapping
contributor can be informed about the existence of such templates.
I personally use the statistics page to decide what to work on first and in
case of a missing template in that page, it would be difficult for me to
get to know other possible candidates. Moreover, the Starbox_* templates
are used in more than 2k articles, which could lead us to at least assign
proper types to a big set of entities.

 2) what is the approach used by the dbpedia extraction framework in case
>> different infoboxes are present in a wiki article?
>>

> This is a known problem but the framework doesn't handle this type of
> information.
> Whenever there is a mapping the framework expects a class definition and
> it either assigns it in the article resource or in a new "intermediate"
> resource ( in the case of multiple defined mappings )
>

>> 3) how to deal with group of templates which provide properties for the
>> same resource?
>>

> To solve this I think we should add a "noMapToClass" property in the
> templateMapping and whenever the framework reads that definition it just
> adds the mapping output directly to the main resource without rdf:type info
> Would you like to help in this regard? We could of course help you and
> provide you with repo access

I agree with this approach and I would love to contribute. I just need a
bit of time to get used to the dbpedia extraction framework code and also
with Scala :P

Also, wouldn't it be possible to avoid creating a new intermediate resource
when there are multiple templates which map to the same ontology class?
If the resource has been already assigned a class, and another template in
the article maps to the same class then you do not create another "fake"
resource and add ontology properties to the original resource. Otherwise
you create a new resource and add properties to that
Does that make sense?

Thanks
Andrea

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler-33?oldid=494925038