>Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:50:04 -0700
>From: "Kevin Weil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: RE: Boxing style posters
>
>totally off topic...
>
>actually, this isn't really boxing style.  according to the "Art of Rock"
>book, this style evolved from carnival-circus-vaudeville advertising, and
>from these venues is where boxing originally took place.  A connection: PT
>Barnum originally owned the building that he also named Madison Square
>Garden, which he used for circuses...
Many, if not most, of these posters are bogus.  A friend of mine has one on
his wall for a free show at Golden Gate Park in April 1972.  First of all,
why print a poster for a free gig?  Makes no sense.  Secondly, the Dead
were in Europe in April of 1972--doubt they'd fly back to SF for a free
show and then back again.  And thirdly, the photo is from 1976!  I've seen
these for many other bands, and almost all are fakes.

And, BTW, the "Madison Square Garden" PT Barnum built was actually at
Madison Square, not at the location of the modern MSG (over Penn
Station).  Don't think the Dead ever played the original--torn down long,
long ago.

Richard

---