The review of this Hell's Angels Benefit by Chip Crossland in the East
Village Other is cited as strong evidence supporting this show. A
careful read of the review would indicate that the show being reviewed
is not the show that a recording exists of and that is attributed to
this date and venue. From the E.V.O. review: 1) Crossland refers to the
M.C. as having a British accent 2) he describes Weir singing Mama Tried
with the New Riders during their set.The recording has the Dead playing
Mama Tried, not the Riders. 3) The beginning of the Dead's set is not
the same as the recording. "I think the first three songs were new ones,
because I hadn't heard them before. Everyone was yelling for Casey Jones
and telling Garcia to turn up his amp..." Later in the review Crossland
writes "By the time the Dead lumbered into Casey Jones I was beginning
to feel emptied out..." These observations clearly differ from the
recording where Casey Jones is the first song. 4) Crossland mentions
Bobby McGee and Midnight Hour as being played during the Dead's set. 5)
No mention of Traffic members. 6) At the end of the show Crossland
states "there's the British bloke again telling everybody that's all for
tonight". Crossland's review supports the existence of a Hell's Angels
Benefit at the Anderson on 11/23/70, but the recording is not that show.
Also, Traffic played at Kleinhan's Music Hall in Buffalo with Cat
Stevens on 11/23/70.