On 05/12/2018 07:17 AM, Matthias Maier wrote:
I would like to follow up on the announcement of this release by publicly
saying again how much we appreciate the many contributions from those who
have sent it code, bug reports, fixed grammar and typos, or have helped in
any other way. Many thanks!
[...]

I would like to echo this as well. The list Matthias has posted has 56 names. Add the maintainers of deal.II and a couple of other people, and you already have ~70 people who have contributed to this release -- what a community!

Timo produced a graph for a proposal a while back that showed how many people contribute code during each 3-month interval (see attached). It is one of the coolest pieces of information about the deal.II community I can think of and one that I think we should all be proud of! I hope that we keep growing like this!

You know who also deserves public thanks? Matthias himself! He took on the massive task of shepherding the release through all its motions. We have a list of jobs that need to be done for each release that is now nearly 50 items long. Matthias didn't do all of these himself, but he kept tabs on what's already done, what is still necessary, and dealt with a seemingly infinite stream of last minute patches. Many thanks, Matthias -- well done!