On 8/3/21 8:38 AM, vachan potluri wrote:

I also have a simple related question. Can I skip all these steps if the triangulation, FE and number of processors of the solution being transferred are kept constant? This is one special case which is like restarting a completed simulation. In this case (triangulation, FE, and processors kept constant), is the partition and dof numbering always going out to be the same? I am not doing any mesh refinement (either in dealii or outside).

If yes, then I suppose loading the solution transfer and deserializing it will do the job without having to worry about "evaluating" the solution?

Yes, you can reload solutions onto the same Triangulation and DoFHandler. In fact, the reload machinery even works if the number of processes is different.