Thank you very much for your answer Bruno, this makes a lot of sense.

However, it does not seem to solve the interpolation problem, I am assuming
the error happens because I did not assign an initial solution to the
activated elements.
Is there any way to assign the activated elements a solution as I am
looping through the cells and activating them? I have not been able to find
this

Regards,