That worked! And it was fairly easy to implement. Thank you very much
Magdalena.

However, it does not seem to apply the initial solution I specify to the
recently activated elements ( solution = 50.  ), it initializes them to
solution = 0.
This is how I am doing it:
    parallel::distributed::SolutionTransfer< dim, Vector<double>>
solution_trans(dof_handler, true);

    Vector<double> previous_solution;
    previous_solution = solution;
    triangulation.prepare_coarsening_and_refinement();
    solution_trans.prepare_for_coarsening_and_refinement(previous_solution);

    if (timestep_number == 25){
      activate_FEs(); // using set_future_FE_index()
    }

    triangulation.execute_coarsening_and_refinement();
    setup_system();

    if (timestep_number == 25){
      solution = 50.;
    }
solution_trans.interpolate(solution);

I guess I will have to set the initial solution in the activated elements
myself with a function.

Regards,

El lunes, 22 de enero de 2024 a las 8:06:44 UTC, schreter....@gmail.com
escribió:

> Hi,
>
> we recently faced a similar problem and do not have a clean solution yet.
> What you could try is to use a parallel::distributed::Triangulation and the
> corresponding parallel::distributed::SolutionTransfer class (see
> https://www.dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/classparallel_1_1distributed_1_1SolutionTransfer.html#aebd38d82f946a96118f73e4e26defd61).
>
> Compared to the serial SolutionTransfer, it offers an additional
> constructor argument
> `const bool average_values=false` which you can set to true. Then the
> assert will hopefully not be triggered, because the conflicting values are
> averaged. Of course you have to decide yourself if the obtained values are
> still feasible for your computations.
>
> Best,
> Magdalena
> luis....@gmail.com schrieb am Sonntag, 21. Januar 2024 um 22:37:19 UTC+1:
>
>> I have even tried to do add an initial solution like in this test:
>> https://github.com/dealii/dealii/blob/e741ba5c864b5b273dead339480d9145badcadf5/tests/hp/solution_transfer_16.cc#L4
>>
>>     triangulation.execute_coarsening_and_refinement();
>>     if (timestep_number == 10){
>>       activate_FEs();
>>     }
>>     setup_system();
>>     if (timestep_number == 10){
>>       solution.reinit(dof_handler.n_dofs());
>>       solution = 1.;
>>     }
>>     solution_trans.interpolate(previous_solution, solution);
>>
>> but still the same error
>> El domingo, 21 de enero de 2024 a las 21:18:41 UTC, luis miguel reig
>> buades escribió:
>>
>>> Thank you very much for the suggestion Marc, but no luck :(
>>>
>>> I activated domination like this:
>>> fe_collection.push_back(FE_Nothing<dim>(1, true));
>>>
>>> But got the same interpolation error:
>>>
>>> An error occurred in line <155> of file
>>> </build/deal.ii-o0wOgt/deal.ii-9.5.1/source/dofs/dof_accessor_set.cc> in
>>> function
>>>     void dealii::internal::set_dof_values(const
>>> dealii::DoFCellAccessor<dim, spacedim, level_dof_access>&, const
>>> dealii::Vector<number>&, OutputVector&, bool) [with int dim = 2; int
>>> spacedim = 2; bool lda = false; OutputVector = dealii::Vector<double>;
>>> number = double]
>>>
>>> The violated condition was:
>>>     local_values_old[i] == number() || get_abs(local_values_old[i] -
>>> local_values[i]) <= get_abs(local_values_old[i] + local_values[i]) *
>>> 100000. * std::numeric_limits<typename numbers::NumberTraits<