death penalty news

July 16, 2004


CARIBBEAN:

Top Court Reversal: Death Penalty OK in Two States

The jurisdictions of the UK-based Judicial Committee of the Privy Council 
and the Caribbean Court of Justice are at the core of a hot debate that has 
now received more fuel with the Council's reversal of a ruling, in practice 
paving the way for Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago to institute the death 
penalty.

Jamaican Prime Minister PJ Patterson did not have to wait long for his 
point to be proven right.

During the just concluded Caribbean Community (CARICOM) summit, Antigua and 
Barbuda Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer made it clear that the majority of 
his citizens were wary of abandoning the UK-based Judicial Committee of the 
Privy Council as the region's court of last resort, particularly after 
three recent council judgments found "unanimous decisions of our Court of 
Appeal were fatally flawed".

"Many Antiguans and Barbudans, perhaps a majority of my compatriots, see 
these judgments as definitive cases against transfer of final appellate 
jurisdiction to the (new) Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ)," Spencer said.

But Patterson, a prominent constitutional lawyer, reminded Spencer and his 
Caribbean audience that such an argument had little merit, since final 
courts could also reverse their original judgment.

And, as if to endorse Patterson's position, the Privy Council last week 
announced it was backtracking on a previous judgment that the mandatory 
death sentence in Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago was unconstitutional.

In a 5-4 verdict the majority noted, "the decision as to whether to abolish 
the mandatory death penalty must be, as the constitution intended it to be, 
a matter for the parliament(s)" of the two countries.

The decision fuels the arguments of supporters of the CCJ, which some 
opponents claim will be a "hanging court" for governments in the 15-state 
CARICOM that are out of step with developments in human rights law.

A similar argument was made by the dissenting justices in the Privy 
Council's decision. "Times have changed," they wrote. "Human rights values 
set higher standards today. The common endeavour, to rid the world of man's 
inhumanity is no longer acceptable."

"To condemn every person convicted of murder to death regardless of the 
circumstances is a form of inhumane punishment," they added.

However, the Privy Council found that in the case of Jamaica, the use of 
the mandatory death sentence was illegal.

The Jamaica case involved Lambert Watson, who was sentenced to death for 
the 1997 murders of his common-law-wife and their daughter. The Privy 
Council found that the country's Offences Against the Person Act (1992), 
which introduced the mandatory death sentence for capital murder was 
inconsistent with section 17(1) of the Jamaican constitution.

Thus, according to the law lords, any death sentence passed in Jamaica 
since the Act was introduced in 1992 must be held to be illegal. The 
judgement means that all those sentenced to death in the past 12 years 
would have their case returned to the Supreme Court for sentencing.

Jamaican Justice Minister AJ Nicholson said the ruling means the death 
sentence imposed on Watson would be set aside. It is now up to the local 
courts when hearing capital murder cases to impose the death sentence or a 
lesser punishment, Nicholson added in a statement.

Human rights activists in Jamaica were nonetheless pleased with the Privy 
Council ruling.

"It establishes a principle which is consistent with our concept of human 
rights and fairness in the judicial system and the administration of 
justice," said Lloyd Barnett, chairman of the Independent Jamaica Council 
for Human Rights.

Ironically, the Privy Council judgements were delivered as the region's 
leaders were endorsing the selection of former Trinidad and Tobago chief 
justice Michael de la Bastide to head the CCJ.

To be headquartered in Port of Spain, the court will be inaugurated Nov. 6.

"I do not want the message or signal to go out that this Caribbean Court of 
Justice (CCJ) is being brought about to be some hanging court as some would 
want to suggest," Barbados Attorney General Mia Mottley told reporters soon 
after the ruling by the Privy Council.

The idea for a CCJ was first mooted in 1970. But it did not gain momentum 
until 1992, when the 'Report of the West Indian Commission' recommended 
establishing a Caribbean Supreme Court as an authoritative regional 
institution that could interpret and apply the treaty that established 
CARICOM, in order to create the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME).

As a result, the CCJ will have both an appellate and an original jurisdiction.

But opinions are divided on the need for, or desirability, of the CCJ. 
Opponents question the ability and willingness of some states to provide 
adequate funding for the court to maintain its independence from political 
influence, while supporters argue the court will be best suited to 
pronounce on issues of regional importance, and so contribute to developing 
a regional jurisprudence.

When the three Caribbean islands served notice they intended to challenge 
the Privy Court's ruling on the mandatory death sentence last year, they 
made it clear the challenge would focus on protecting the constitution and 
parliamentary privilege.

Over the past 10 years, "Caribbean governments have had to contend with 
uncertainty in the administration of justice, (and) we believe that this 
judgement brings certainty to the interpretation of the law and to the 
applicability of the law," Mottley told reporters.

She said the integrity of the Barbados constitution had been at stake after 
the first Privy Council verdict, since "laws beyond the death penalty would 
stand to fall."

She called last week's judgement "a victory for the constitution of Barbados."

But Barbados attorney Robert Clarke said the ruling highlights "the problem 
the judges faced on deciding on the morality and legality of the death 
penalty."

The Barbados Government should "pass legislation, if not to abolish, to 
give the judges of the High Court discretionary power to deal with the 
penalty of death," Clarke told the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC).

Trinidad and Tobago Attorney General John Jeremie said the Privy Council 
found that it "has no licence to read its own moral values into the 
Trinidad and Tobago Constitution."

In a prepared statement Jeremie said he considered "the law in relation to 
the application of the death penalty to be finally and conclusively 
determined."

There are no plans to change the nature of the penalty in Trinidad and 
Tobago, he added, and it will remain as the only punishment for people 
convicted of murder regardless of human rights consideration.

Some prominent lawyers in the country disagree with Jeremie.

Human rights lawyer Douglas Mendes said the Privy Council decision "retards 
the development of constitutional rights in the country," with the result 
being that "we are stick with archaic laws."

Lecturer at the Hugh Wooding Law School and former magistrate Dana Seetahal 
argued the death sentence should be reserved only for "exceptional cases" 
of murder.

"What the courts are saying is that it is not for them to change the law 
against the will of Parliament. What I do think is that the way to go about 
changing the nature of the death penalty or abolishing it totally, is for 
legislative change."

(source: Inter Press Service)


====================

SOUTH AFRICA:

Assurance on death penalty sought for 'mercenaries'     

South Africa had a constitutional duty at the very least to give diplomatic 
protection to stop suspected mercenaries held in Zimbabwe from being 
sentenced to death or executed by Equatorial Guinea.

A group of international- law experts have argued in papers filed at the 
Constitutional Court on behalf of the Society for the Abolition of the 
Death Penalty that the death sentence would violate international law, 
international customary law and the South African constitution.

The alleged mercenaries are suspected of planning a coup d'etat in 
Equatorial Guinea earlier this year.

According to the society's legal team - advocates Wim Trengove SC, Anton 
Katz and Max du Plessis - the South African government is compelled by the 
constitution to intervene in the fate of the men.

The society was allowed to join the case of 69 men to be heard by the 
Constitutional Court, in an extraordinary session, on Monday.

The men want the court to order the government to either bring them back to 
the country or prevent them from being extradited to Equatorial Guinea to 
stand trial.

Mariette Kruger, the South African lawyer for Simon Mann, the 70th alleged 
mercenary and group leader, said yesterday her client felt "most unhappy 
about the action against the South African government and considered it 
unwise, unhelpful and counter-productive".

He no longer wished to be part of it, she said.

The society's legal team, however, made it clear there was no way the 
government could wash its hands of its citizens. They focused their 
argument on the risk that the men could be sentenced to death and could be 
executed.

"The state is obliged under the constitution to take all steps reasonably 
open to it to protect the (men) against that risk," they said in papers 
before court.

The society's legal team asked the court to order that, at the very least, 
the government should seek an assurance from the government of Zimbabwe 
that it would not extradite the men to Equatorial Guinea - or at least not 
do so without an assurance from Equatorial Guinea that the men would not be 
sentenced to death. If they did receive the death sentence, society wanted 
an assurance that the sentence would not be carried out.

"We submit that the state is entitled, but not obliged, under international 
law to afford diplomatic protection to the applicants against the risk that 
they may be sentenced to death and executed in violation of international law.

"It is, however, obliged to do so under the constitution ... It would be a 
violation of international law if the applicants were to be sentenced to 
death without a fair trial."

The team dismissed the government's argument that it is bound only by its 
constitutional duties in domestic situations, stating that this 
interpretation "unduly" strained the interpretation of the constitution.

They said the South African government was compelled to act subject to the 
constitution, both locally and in the international domain - simply because 
there would be no government without the constitution.

"It can never escape the constitution because it has no existence and no 
powers beyond the constitution."

(source: The Star, South Africa)


============================

SOUTH KOREA:

Uri Seeks to Abolish Capital Punishment
        
The ruling Uri Party is seeking to submit a special bill to the National 
Assembly next month to do away with the death penalty.

The legislation, which is currently being prepared by Rep. Yoo In-tae, will 
introduce life sentences without commutation to replace capital punishment.

``Some party members oppose the abolition of the death penalty because it 
will result in punishing those on death row in the same way as lifers 
though the two should be treated differently,'' a secretary to Yoo said. 
``However, life imprisonment without commutation will stifle arguments like 
this presented by proponents of the death penalty.''

The current rules for life imprisonment allow a prisoner to receive parole 
or a reduced sentence for certain reasons after he or she serves 10 years. 
In the new legislation, Yoo will insert so-called ``absolute'' life 
sentences to replace the death penalty.

``We are now trying to persuade lawmakers from the ruling and opposition 
parties to join the move to eliminate capital punishment,'' the secretary 
added. ``Officials of the Uri Party have shown a very positive response to 
the idea.''

With the 152-member liberal party currently controlling a majority in the 
299-seat National Assembly, the bill will likely be passed in the next 
irregular session, slated for Aug. 15.

Rep. Choe Yong-gyu of the Uri Party also said the death penalty does more 
harm than good in Korean society and his party should help abolish the 
punishment.

Public opposition to the death penalty has been increasing, supported by 
civic groups.

This will be the third time that lawmakers attempt to introduce a special 
bill to abolish the death penalty. In the two previous cases, the bills 
were not even brought to a plenary session.

`` I am advocating the abolition of the capital punishment in order to end 
South Korea's shameful history,'' the secretary quoted Yoo as saying.

Yoo was once condemned to death himself for pro-democratic activities in 
fighting the authoritarian regime of late President Park Chung-hee when he 
was a university student.

In 1974, a dozen student leaders including Yoo received death penalties in 
courts-martial. However, Yoo's execution was delayed and he was pardoned 
the following year.

(source: Korea Times)

Reply via email to