death penalty news

April 19, 2005


INDONESIA / AUSTRALIA:

Australia accused of exporting death penalty over drug arrests in Bali

A rights group Tuesday challenged the Canberra government to say whether it 
is "exporting the death penalty" after Australian police aided in the 
arrest of nine young Australian drug suspects in Indonesia, where they 
could face a firing squad.

Australian federal police had been tracking the eight men and a woman since 
February and tipped off Indonesian counterparts about a fortnight ago that 
the group planned to smuggle drugs via the resort island of Bali.

Five of the nine were detained at Bali's airport as they were about to fly 
to Sydney late Sunday. The four others were arrested at nearby hotels.

Terry O'Gorman, president of the Australian Council for Civil Liberties, 
said he could not understand why federal police did not wait to arrest the 
gang in Australia, which does not have the death penalty.

"What has to be answered by the Federal Justice Minister Chris Ellison is 
why were these people the subject of an arrest in Indonesia where it's 
already been said quite categorically that if found guilty, no question 
they will be executed," he said.

"If we're in effect exporting the death penalty of Australians to other 
countries and if there has in effect been a change in government policy, 
then let's hear about it," he said.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said the alleged offences were committed 
in Indonesia and its police had to be involved.

"For nine people to be arrested -- certainly in my nine years as the 
foreign minister there has never been a situation like that before," he 
toldthe Nine Network.

"People have to know though that trafficking in heroin and trafficking in 
drugs brings the death penalty in many countries, particularly in Asia," he 
said.

"If people don't understand that, they certainly will now."

However he said Australia would always appeal for clemency in any situation 
where an Australian faced the death penalty.

Mike Phelan, federal police border and international network national 
manager, said it was not up to Australia to decide where the group was 
arrested.

"When we're involved in international cooperation, these offences have 
occurred in another jurisdiction and it's very much the domain of the law 
enforcement authorities in that jurisdiction as to what action they take," 
he said.

Police made follow-up raids and seized documents at homes in Sydney and 
Brisbane after the arrests. Officers will study the documents to see 
whether further arrests are necessary, police said.

Four of the accused were detained at Bali airport while awaiting a flight 
to Sydney, allegedly with heroin strapped to their bodies.

A fifth person also was arrested at the airport, and later four others were 
detained in a hotel raid. Indonesian officers seized a total of 11.25 
kilograms (25 pounds) of heroin.

Australian police said the heroin had apparently been manufactured in 
Southeast Asia, with Bali used as a transit point to Australia.

Relatives expressed shock at the arrests.

The family of Brisbane man Thanh Nguyen, 22, said they had no idea he was 
even overseas.

His sister Vanessa Nguyen told the Courier-Mail her brother had said to his 
family he was going to Sydney for a short break about two weeks ago.

"I started to worry because we haven't heard from him since he left on 
April 6 or 7," she said. "I tried to call his mobile but it was engaged, 
turned off or rang out."

(source: AFP / Jakarta Post)





IRAQ:

Shiite Bloc in Iraq Wouldn't Fight Execution of Hussein -- Kurdish 
President Opposes Death Penalty

The Shiite Muslim bloc leading Iraq's new government will oppose any move 
to spare former president Saddam Hussein's life if a special tribunal 
convicts and condemns him, a spokesman for the alliance said Monday.

"We will deal with it immediately," said Ali Dabbagh, spokesman for the 
Shiite-led United Iraqi Alliance. That group is now forming a government 
with a Kurdish alliance following the first post-Hussein elections in 
January. Dabbagh said the next courtroom activity in Hussein's trial is 
tentatively expected in July, with the trial itself to begin before the end 
of the year.

Dabbagh was reacting to a BBC interview with the new president, Jalal 
Talabani, a Sunni Kurd and a death-penalty opponent. Talabani said he would 
"go on a holiday" rather than sign an execution order for Hussein.

However, the signatures of his two vice presidents would suffice to 
authorize the execution, Talabani said, making any abstention on his part a 
token gesture.

Talabani said he knew he represented a minority voice, possibly the only 
voice, in Iraq's still-forming government in his wish to save the ousted 
leader from capital punishment.

"I said my word, but no one is listening to me, to be frank with you," 
Talabani told the BBC. "My two partners in the presidency, the government, 
the House, all of them are for sentencing Saddam Hussein to death before 
the court will decide."

Hussein and other senior officials from his government are believed to be 
held at a U.S. detention center near Baghdad's airport. Construction of a 
court for the five-judge tribunal is expected to be finished this month.

Talabani also said in the interview that he thought executing Hussein would 
deflate the Sunni Muslim-led insurgency.

Dabbagh, the spokesman for the Shiite alliance, said relatives of Hussein's 
victims, like most Iraqis, didn't want mercy for Hussein, who he said 
represents "a unique case in Iraq -- the massacres and mass graves."

"The families of the victims have to see the government will appreciate the 
court" in its decision, Dabbagh added.

Also Monday, Iraqi police backed by U.S. military helicopters swept into a 
town southeast of Baghdad where Sunni militants were alleged to be holding 
scores of Shiite hostages. But the troops found only empty streets as 
jittery townspeople hid indoors.

Security forces found no hostages in the town, Madain, said Sabah Kadhim, a 
spokesman for the Interior Ministry. The sweep appeared to end a murky 
four-day drama in which rumors of Sunnis taking hostages in a bid to drive 
Shiites from Madain threatened to make the town a flashpoint for growing 
Shiite-Sunni tensions throughout the country.

Interior Minister Falah Naqib and other leaders denounced what they said 
were instigators trying to stir up sectarian conflict by spreading lies. 
Residents of the southern city of Basra and other communities demonstrated 
in support of Muslim unity.

Security forces took two days to move into position around Madain after the 
rumors came to the attention of a news organization on Friday. Kadhim said 
Monday that police would remain in the town permanently.

In Baghdad, gunmen ambushed a senior Defense Ministry adviser as he drove 
home late Monday, killing him and his son, the Interior Ministry told the 
Associated Press. Officials identified the man as Maj. Gen. Adnan Qaraghulli.

In Basra, two Iraqi policemen were killed and six injured when a roadside 
bomb exploded near their patrol vehicles, police Capt. Alaa Hasan told the 
Associated Press.

(source: Washington Post)

Reply via email to