death penalty news

April 20, 2005


WORLD:

Anti-death penalty course likely to persist

CAPITAL PUNISHMENT AND THE CHURCH

The new pope was a key adviser to John Paul II, who condemned a 'culture of 
death'
        
Catholic leaders and scholars said Tuesday that they expect that new Pope 
Benedict XVI will continue his predecessor's strong opposition to the death 
penalty.

Noting that Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was one of Pope John Paul II's key 
policy people, they said he was clearly supportive of the former pontiff's 
condemnation of a "culture of death" that includes capital punishment. The 
stance prompted John Paul II to write then Gov. George W. Bush asking for 
clemency for death row inmates.

"I can't see Ratzinger making any changes," said Cathleen Kaveny, a Notre 
Dame University professor of law and theology. "I don't know of anything he 
wrote on the death penalty specifically, but my sense is he's going to 
follow John Paul's approach."

That view was echoed by Monsignor Frank Rossi, chancellor of the 
Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston, and Terrence O'Rourke, a professor of 
international law at Houston's St. Thomas University.

The emphasis the new pope puts on the death penalty will be closely watched 
in Harris County, which puts more people to death than any other county in 
the United States.

John Paul II wrote Bush in 1998 opposing the execution of Karla Faye 
Tucker, a born-again Christian convicted of two murders, but Bush declined 
to grant a reprieve.

If John Paul II was not successful in stopping Texas executions, his 
emphasis on the issue at least appeared to change opinion among Catholics 
in the United States. A Zogby International poll released last month found 
support for capital punishment among U.S. Roman Catholics has dropped below 
50 percent, down from previous polls that showed as many as 68 percent in 
favor of it.

"Pope John Paul II clarified the teaching on the death penalty, making it 
clear there should be few reasons to justify the execution of a person 
convicted of criminal offenses," Rossi said.

Catholic scholars say Ratzinger was one of the former pope's point men in 
that regard. In 1997, for instance, Ratzinger, then the Vatican's authority 
on doctrine, presented the revised catechism which hardened the church's 
opposition to the death penalty.

(source: Houston Chronicle)





SPAIN:

Spaniards split over execution pardons

Spain's socialists have outraged the country's Right by starting a 
controversial process that could pardon tens of thousands condemned to 
death by military courts under Franco.

The government move to begin reversing sentences against Franco's opponents 
has angered sections of the military and conservatives afraid it could 
reopen wounds of the Spanish Civil War and destroy what is known as the 
"pact of silence" about the nation's past.

A committee of ministers will be set up to consider the fate of "those who 
found themselves submitted to criminal cases that clearly did not meet the 
minimum rules for a fair trial'', a senior government figure said.

The generalisimo, who seized power after staging the coup that sparked the 
1936-39 Civil War, favoured a barbaric but very Spanish method of 
execution: strangulation by garrotte.

One of the state's priorities is to secure the pardon of Salvador Puig 
Antich, the last man sentenced to death by Franco in 1974. Puig Antich, a 
25-year-old anarchist found guilty of murdering a policeman, was one of 
those sentenced to death by garrotting.

The Right is angered by the fact that victims of the "people's courts" run 
by Republican militias, which condemned thousands to death with equally 
spurious legitimacy, will not be subject to the same review.

Franco's vigorous pursuit of his theory of "cleansing" territory captured 
from Republican forces caused consternation even among his fascist German 
and Italian allies.

He signed all death sentences in person, often consigning dozens to death 
without studying the relevant documents. Knowing the shock value of 
publicising executions, he would often add the formula "garrotte and press" 
to the sentences.

The opposition People's Party is also angered by the government's decision 
to remove the symbols of the Francoist dictatorship.

The only remaining statue of Franco in Madrid was removed last month.

(source: The Telegraph)





INDONESIA / AUSTRALIA:

Five held in Bali may get death penalty

Four of the nine Australians arrested in Bali on heroin offences are 
expected to escape charges that attract the death penalty.

The head of Bali's police anti-drugs squad told national broadcaster ABC 
that only five Australians, alleged to have planned and acted as couriers 
in the drug ring, were to be charged with offences that could result in 
death by a firing squad.

The other four would likely face lesser charges.

Squad chief Colonel Bambang Sugiarto said the nine Australians had been 
divided into two groups of likely defendants, the ABC reported.

The first group included alleged drug ringleader Andrew Chan, 21, of 
Sydney, and four others allegedly caught at Bali's main airport with 
packages of heroin strapped to their bodies.

The four - Brisbane men Michael William Czugaj and Scott Anthony Rush, both 
19, Wollongong man Martin Eric Stephens, 29, and Renae Lawrence, 27, from 
Newcastle - were detained while awaiting a flight to Sydney on Sunday.

Mr Sugiarto told the ABC that Chan and the four alleged couriers would 
likely face Indonesia's most serious trafficking charges which could result 
in the death penalty, or life in jail.
Advertisement

Mr Sugiarto said lesser charges were planned for the group of four detained 
at the hotel, ABC reported.

Tach Duc Thanh Nguyen, 27, from Brisbane, and Sydney men Myuran Sukumaran, 
24, Si Yi Chen, 20, and Matthew James Norman, 18, were detained at the 
hotel, allegedly in possession of a small amount of heroin and drug 
paraphernalia.

Two lawyers acting for the four detained at the hotel, and for Chan, said 
the four were likely to escape the death penalty if convicted.

"For the situation now, only one article (Law 22, of 1997) will apply," one 
lawyer Agus Saputra said.

"Police said they will use article 78, which carries a maximum 10 years in 
prison."

The second lawyer, Rifan Mohammad, said charges against his clients were 
yet to be finalised.

But he said the four detained at the hotel would face lesser charges 
because it was "a different place, a different offence".

Mr Rifan said there were likely to be three separate trials - one for the 
four arrested at the airport, one for the four arrested at the hotel and 
one for Chan, because his circumstances were unique.

"He (Chan) is still a witness. Police caught him but they didn't find 
anything on his body," he said.

A neighbour and family friend of Chan, David Saoper, a Salvation Army 
major, denied the 21-year-old was the ringleader of the group and said he 
would not have offered a $1 million bribe to avoid arrest.

He said he thought Chan had been used as a pawn in a much bigger drug 
operation.

"I've got a feeling ... maybe some of them have done little things and the 
big people in drugs have made them do that (heroin smuggling)," Mr Saoper said.

The father of Lawrence said his daughter deserved to go to jail if she had 
done the wrong thing but should not face the death penalty.

"I don't care if Renae does five years in jail. She's done the wrong thing. 
She has got to pay for what she done. The death penalty, that's a bit 
much," he told the Nine Network.

(source: AAP / Sydney Morning Herald)





IRAQ:

Leaders split over death penalty for Saddam

Iraq's new rulers have split over whether to execute Saddam Hussein if he 
is convicted of war crimes, with the President, Jalal Talabani, facing 
calls to resign if he refuses to sign a death warrant.

The Kurdish rebel-turned President said he opposed capital punishment on 
principle.

``Personally, no, I won't sign,'' he told the BBC. But he hinted he may 
abstain and pass the decision to the two Vice-Presidents, Adel Abdul Mahdi, 
a Shia, and Ghazi Yawar, a Sunni Arab, who with him comprise the 
presidential council. ``My two partners in the presidency, the Government, 
the House, all of them are for sentencing Saddam Hussein to death before 
the court will decide. So, I think I will be alone in this field.''

Mr. Talabani's stance prompted a sharp rebuke from the Kurdish bloc's main 
coalition ally, a cleric-backed Shia list.

A parliamentary deputy and spokesman, Ali al-Dabagh, said the United Iraqi 
Alliance unanimously favoured executing Mr. Hussein if so ordered by the 
special tribunal which is expected to start the trial next year. ``If the 
court says he's a criminal, we will follow it,'' Mr. al-Dabagh said. 
``[Talabani] is the President, and he should follow the law. If he doesn't 
want to sign it, he should resign the presidency.''

(source: The Hindu / Guardian)

Reply via email to