Hello Blaine,

For folks with low version I highly recommend using the Compiz window manager.

I have no idea if/how it can be installed in LMDE. I didn't find it this
repository: packages.linuxmint.com

But I am not a Mint user myself, so it's quite possible that I miss something
obvious.

Else, if that's acceptable for you and your wife I'd suggest to use instead
Debian with a Mate desktop and the compiz-mate package.

Best regards,

Didier