In my case, described above, in order to be able to use

# partclone.ext3 -c -d -s /dev/mapper/vg1-root  -o
/home/francesco/vg1-root.img

how to first umount vg1-root? I was unable to do that correctly, so that
partclone failed because

device (/dev/map//vg1-root) is mounted at  /

thanks

francesco
(and sorry for such a low-level query)