So, after a quit research with google, it seams like that Lennarts
information is correct. The e1000 driver used by the Lenny installer seams
like to old for you network card. I would suggest to build an own kernel for
the d-i. Could be little bit tricky.

For more infos read on here ->
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CustomKernel

Mario