Hi,

No problems regarding the extensive reply, glad you liked it. I'm
trimming all parts that didn't look like they needed a follow-up to
keep this brief…

Andreas Tille <ti...@debian.org> (2024-05-31):
> sorry for my late reply - I was basically offline the last couple
> of days.

No need to be sorry.

> However, my question was rather whether you know some valid reasons
> why derivatives are exchanging the install method - maybe that
> question should be better asked on Debian-Boot (if so feel free to
> ignore this question).  I was rather wondering about the motivation
> for the usage of Ubiquity or Calamares (or others?).  I might be naive
> but from my perspective installing is something that just needs to
> work and having a lot of ways to make this working is somehow burning
> developer time.  So what according to your insight is motivating
> derivatives to solve a problem in a different way that is IMHO solved
> by Debian.

You seem to be asking the wrong person. I don't know about downstream's
motivation, the various alternatives/competitors, etc., and I wouldn't
have time to investigate if I wanted to (and I'm not saying that's the
case).

> Sure there is an arm64 image and I started with copying this to some
> USB stick.  But that hardware did not booted from an USB device but
> only from eprom that had to be flashed via SD card.  Its not your
> fault definitely but was frustrating for me not beeing able to simply
> run the Debian installer.

I understand the frustration (“welcome to the ARM world…”) but (1) the
initial statements were a very wrong conclusion from your findings and
(2) even with hardware that's supposed to be supported by free software
we might need time to spot, fix, or workaround bugs (hardware, software,
firmware, doc, etc.) or integrate new features to support new boards.

That's not specific to d-i, that's just how IT works.

> It was not really a claim but a question based on my experience with a
> single piece of hardware.  I was hoping for some ideas how we could
> motivate hardware vendors to deliver hardware that can be easily
> booted by simply plugging in some USB device featuring the installer
> images we provide on our web page.

UEFI/arm64 is a thing. Whether HW vendors actually implement/enable UEFI
is another matter entirely (see early EEPROM versions on e.g. Pi 4).

> Just keep in mind my offer to contact me in private if needed.

That's appreciated, thanks.

Cheers,
--
Cyril Brulebois (k...@debian.org)            <https://debamax.com/>