Hi Bjørn,

Am Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 01:18:52PM +0200 schrieb Bjørn Mork:

> I have no hardware to try this on,

Same here.  I'm not seeking any hardware actively.  I simply imagine
that I want to buy some non-Intel/AMD based laptop which somehow behaves
like my normal work-horse without restrictions.

> but don't think Windows is strictly
> required.  None of the usual tools liked the self-extracting exe, but it
> extracted fine under Wine on x86. The archive contains instructions on
> how to create a bootable USB stick with an EFI application and the new
> firmware image.  Nothing there you must have or use Windows for.  Just
> create the USB stick and boot from it.
>
> Additional fun fact - their Bootaa64.efi application includes this string:
>

> /mnt/c/Ubuntu/LenovoTools-GCC-BuildEnv/Scripts/Ubuntu/Build/LenovoToolsPkg/RELEASE_GCC5/AARCH64/ShellPkg/Application/Shell/Shell/DEBUG/Shell.dll
>
> So you can do without Windows, but they can't do without Debian :-)

;-P

> > Argh, I need Windows to install Linux.  That's IMHO a no-go.  I do not
> > buy and hardware which has Windows preinstalled / needs Windows for
> > whatever purpose.  Do you think that this could/should be a topic to
> > talk about with some Lenovo representative at DebConf?
>
> Well, buying this thing without Windows is still going to be hard...

I'm seeking for more such things I could talk about the Lenovo
representative at DebConf. ;-)

Kind regards
   Andreas.

--