Andreas Tille <ti...@debian.org> writes:

>  "Given that the next step needs Windows anyways, we're documenting the
> Windows option here."

I have no hardware to try this on, but don't think Windows is strictly
required.  None of the usual tools liked the self-extracting exe, but it
extracted fine under Wine on x86. The archive contains instructions on
how to create a bootable USB stick with an EFI application and the new
firmware image.  Nothing there you must have or use Windows for.  Just
create the USB stick and boot from it.

Additional fun fact - their Bootaa64.efi application includes this string:

/mnt/c/Ubuntu/LenovoTools-GCC-BuildEnv/Scripts/Ubuntu/Build/LenovoToolsPkg/RELEASE_GCC5/AARCH64/ShellPkg/Application/Shell/Shell/DEBUG/Shell.dll

So you can do without Windows, but they can't do without Debian :-)

> Argh, I need Windows to install Linux.  That's IMHO a no-go.  I do not
> buy and hardware which has Windows preinstalled / needs Windows for
> whatever purpose.  Do you think that this could/should be a topic to
> talk about with some Lenovo representative at DebConf?

Well, buying this thing without Windows is still going to be hard...

Bjørn