Le jeudi 02 janvier 2014 à 14:27 -0800, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> For several years the GNOME Team ignored section 9.7 of Policy, concerning
> integration with the MIME handling system.  They did this in favor of
> implementing the related freedesktop.org on the grounds that the fd.o
> standard is technically superior (and less work, since it was already
> implemented upstream).
[snip]
> What struck me in that discussion is that at no point did the GNOME
> maintainers raise this issue on debian-devel or debian-policy to ask for
> help with this integration problem.

You forgot to mention that the actual bug at hand affected only a small,
although quite vocal, number of users – vocal users with a lot of time
to spend on debian-devel (and now debian-ctte) being a recurrent issue
in Debian nowadays.

The maintainer for mime-support had been aware of the problem for more
than three years without any change happening. There was a failure of
Debian as a whole to have let this part of the policy rot for such a
long time, and I’ll admit to my share of responsibility in letting that
happen, but certainly not to the whole of it.

I still stand on the opinion that, after such a long time, aggressive
removal of legacy MIME files was a right course of action.

> I'm
> merely giving voice to a view widely held among Debian developers who would
> in fact be more than happy to contribute to improving GNOME's integration in
> Debian, if only they believed this help would be welcomed by the current
> package maintainers.

Vague, unsubstantiated, false claims. Again.

I do not recall the members of the team rejecting the help proposed by
other contributors, apart from a handful of people who obviously failed
to meet the technical standards to contribute to any Debian package. If
there are any developers who would be happy to contribute to GNOME
packaging but are afraid their help will be refused, any member of the
team will be happy to soothe their fears. We have always been inclusive,
since, as a former DPL said, “what can’t you undo?”

Anyway, I have serious doubts about your allegation that manpower issues
are related to the current team members, unless you want to extend this
criticism to most core packaging teams. I might have to remind you that
the kernel, glibc, KDE, GNOME, Xfce and Xorg maintainers have all
repeatedly and publicly stated their lack of contributors and difficulty
to handle bug reports.

> I don't think it's a
> coincidence that over the past two years, over a quarter of all the issues
> decided by the TC have related to GNOME packages.

“Over a quarter” being three issues, two of them being the same. And
let’s not mention some TC member’s behavior regarding the handling of
that one, shall we?

> That's nothing more than hostage taking, especially when there would be no
> difficulty getting cycles for the integration bugs with GNOME and whatever
> init system Debian standardized on... *provided that* the GNOME maintainers
> showed themselves open to this work instead of blocking it.  From Joss's
> reply to my message, it seems altogether too likely that he *would* block
> such work.

This is not what I wrote. I implied that I would not contribute to it in
any way. I know this is the point of view of some other members of the
Debian GNOME team, but maybe not all of them. You’d have to ask them
individually.

Given the general tone of your message, I might have to remind you that
I am not the GNOME team, especially since I have not been providing much
packaging help during the last months. The reason why I’m the one doing
most of the talking is that other people have been so disinterested,
demotivated, or even disgusted, by the confrontational tone of any
public discussion about GNOME, freedesktop or systemd that they don’t
even want to talk about it anymore. Therefore, you should not think I am
the most likely person to block such changes or abandon the ship while
it is sinking.

This kind of attitude is making Debian the fun topic to talk about among
upstreams, not the major Linux player we should be. Debian as a whole
needs to rethink how it can be more friendly to some important upstream
projects, or we will simply stop being the “universal” operating system.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :