On Wed, 2022-09-28 at 13:05 -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:
> On Wed 28 Sep 2022 at 08:00PM +02, Ansgar wrote:
> > Package: tech-ctte
> > Control: block 1020920 by -1
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > please clarify if atomic updates are mandatory for the Debian system.
> > Or other measures to ensure that system crashes at *any* time do not
> > render a system unbootable.
> >
> > See also: https://bugs.debian.org/1020920
>
> (1) Do you mean any package update?  Certain packages?  dist-upgrade?

Any package relevant for successful boot. Any upgrade.

As far as I can tell, the submitter requires some guarantees
significantly stronger than what Debian requires for essential
packages.

In particular, boot-relevant packages are demanded to work in
unconfigured state, with not fully satisfied dependencies (possibly not
even unpackaged?), in partly unpackaged states, after maintainer script
errors, and all of that in combination with system crashes that might
result in partly written data to filesystems. And possibly in other
interesting system states too.

> (2) The TC is a decision-making body of last resort.  The bug you
>     mention was filed today.  Might this be premature?

Well, if we close it or don't act on it, people will complain and/or
demand to remove us from Debian for not acting on it (the latter might
be limited to people just sitting on their porch).

The other tech-ctte bug about usrmerge also suggested it would just end
up here either way.

Ansgar