    Russ> Unfortunately, with this current set of bugs, it seems
    Russ> unlikely that we're going to manage to make everyone happy in
    Russ> the short term, which means there's going to be a tense period
    Russ> where some folks feel strongly that we're doing this wrong.
    Russ> But more discussion, unless it's about truly new approaches,
    Russ> often makes that kind of situation worse rather than better.
    Russ> We may have to just uncomfortably sit with the disagreement
    Russ> for a while and incrementally work our way out of it.

I agree with all of what Russ says especialliy the above.

I think it would help the current situation if the TC would clarify the
state of the bugs if they choose not to take up this issue at this time:

* Who is expected to drive further discussion: the maintainer or the bug
  submitter

* What is the state until that further discussion happens?

My understanding of our processes is that:

1) If the bug submitter disagrees with the maintainer they need to
drive discussion.  If the TC isn't ready they could drive that
discussion debian-devel or some other forum.

2) Unless the TC or RT explicitly acts, the maintainer's severity
(wishlist in this case) stands.

I really think that if the TC chooses to close this bug, either
confirming I'm right on those issues or explaining where I've got it
wrong will help a lot.
If we're going to be sitting with a bit of discomfort while our
processes and our discussions work themselves out, let us at least not
have more disagreement on what those processes are than we need.

--Sam