William Ballard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Good lord, what are we arguing about then :-)
> Do people who edit their exim config (I never do on my desktop)
> really have a hard time grasping #include files?

You've missed the point of the many-small-files config.  As a happy
user, let me explain what it's about.

The point is that I want to massage some parts of the configuration
and not others.  I want the others to continue to get updated by the
normal package installation process.

If I use the one-big-file method, I can't really do this.  I would
modify parts of the file, but then I can either install the new file
or not when the package updates it.  It's a PITA, to merge every time
a small change is made in some other part of such a large config file.

So the many-small-files is perfect for a site like mine.  Many changes
aren't even changes that get noticed by dpkg, because they involve
making new files to specify new router rules, for example.  They just
get automatically put into the generated config file.  And by
contrast, when nearly any change is made by the Debian package, it
just automatically goes into the new version without the need for me
to hand-edit the changes.

Really big sites will have their own config files anyway, so nothing
done by Debian matters much to them.  Small and ordinary sites may be
happy with the default big file, because they never need to modify it
anyway.  But middling sites, or sites like mine with small variations
on the normal model (in my case, I have a second domain that I MX for
through a special alias file) find the many-small-files just perfect.

Thomas