Neil Williams wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2010 16:13:36 -0500
> Raphael Geissert <geiss...@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> dash recently added support for the magic variable $LINENO, which was the
>> last piece to make it POSIX compliant. However, this change made the
>> autoconf- generated configure scripts use dash to execute the script's
>> code. Without support for LINENO, configure scripts exec to bash
>> automatically.
>
> Can't we just patch this OUT of dash until after the release??? (or
> forever? or just on buildd's?)

The plan for now is to disable support for LINENO, as mentioned in the br.

> All this work for ONE VARIABLE???!?!?!

POSIX compliance too.

>> An archive-wide check of the source packages gives an estimate of over
>> 3425 source packages with bashisms in *any file*. This doesn't
>> necessarily mean that we are drowned by bashisms, as some of those may
>> already be fixed by Debian- provided packages or might affect unused code
>> (either at the build process or code not included in the final binary
>> package.)
>
> This is just scare mongering - there are packages there which have
> nothing to do with autoconf or have any configure script of any kind,
> even the simplest perl script packages!

The dd-list was bogus and I fixed it already. The .dsc files in the
directory did not change, however.

> ./configure is a *generated* script too, if dash cannot handle it, dash
> has to be crippled to let the other packages continue working. Unless
> autoconf itself has already been patched to fix all of these issues when
> regenerating ./configure from configure.ac, all this would be a waste
> of effort anyway.

It is not about whether dash can handle it or not. The bashisms don't come
from autoconf, the come from what the author's added to configure.in{,.in}.

> Someone please tell me this broken version of dash hasn't been uploaded
> yet.

dash isn't broken. It is in testing already.

Regards,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net