On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:27:48AM +0100, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> > > is there a specific reason why metapackages depend rather then recommend
> > > packages they are meant to pull in?
>
> I never meant to imply that *all* metapackages use Depends.

For my perception of your sentence at least a "some" was missing in your
first mail.  Without it it is a general statement.  I just wanted to
mention some exceptions from it and that these exceptions exist because
of the reasons you gave.  If you want to read it in other words: "+1 for
your arguments."

> It is my impression that the problems mentioned in my initial mail can be
> solved by changing metapackages (like those mentioned by Cyril in his
> reply) to use Recommends instead of Depends.

+1

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--