previously on this list Paul Wise contributed:

> I have written a non-exhaustive list of goals for hardening the Debian
> distribution, the Debian project and computer systems of the Debian
> project, contributors and users.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Hardening/Goals
>
> If you have more ideas, please add them to the wiki page.

Though it will take some guts, the best way I see for a distro to help
users secure their machines is to provide sudoers entries disabled by
default and enabled either manually through requests during various
package installs or a sudoers-policies package or in sudoers.d by
default. I've read a story about sudoers being packaged by distro's
at one time but mistakes meaning they stopped doing so. I expect that's
a myth and silly if not. I find little about it but hearsay and whilst I
know sudo's maintainer prefers rules not to be enabled by default as
that encourages general policies and so an insecure default. I am not
sure he minds commented policies that are easily enabled. If I ever
have any time I intend to create a sudoers policy site if no-one
beats me to it and more searches don't find one but a project like
debian may be better suited to the task. Sudo is undoubtedly more
secure than polkit when used correctly and easily modified by users. If
things like synaptic had an option to use sudo, users could very easily
and intuitively modify the default policy to only allow a certain list
of packages to be installed and synaptic would be none the wiser and
work very securely with whatever exact permissions the user decides and
that apt-get provides the control for. This empowers users and the more
correct way of doing things.

Any security related tools and settings should have a high quality man
page.

All security configuration should be insisted on being in /etc if it
isn't already. A default polkit configuration for example should be
easily found and edited and not be allowed to exist in /usr or need to
be copied from anywhere to anywhere. That is simply irresponsible.

sysctl.conf could perhaps have more commented entries

If a doc exists in /usr/share then perhaps a man page should atleast
point to it and be found via apropos in many cases as understanding is
the first step to securing.

You could port the privledge seperation patches for X11 from OpenBSD so
that only a small part for handling device files etc. runs as root.

tcpdump is more secure but for more risky things like wireshark it
could be made to die perhaps by a wrapper if run as root and dumpcap be
suid group wireshark mode 750 and users add themselves to that group to
use it.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=139694935227588&w=2

More use of chrooting by default would be good too.

Some comments on the existing content on the page follows.

Tor provides privacy and more likely lowers security so which threat
against contributors or contributor actions is the Tor policy aimed to
protect? Asking contributor's to boot debian where possible without
listening services from dedicated usb/hdd with a vpn or ssh to avoid
router resident attackers maybe seen as a bit draconian but I would
suggest is a better practice to aim for.

If grsec is coming RBAC deserves mentioning under MACs

Routers, you could simplify their usage so you are using a subset of
the firmware risk. So use bridge mode and a pppoe client on a debian or
an OpenBSD box where I can contest pppoe setup is dead easy and in
kernel. Though the bastille debian box and VPN two paragraphs up is
probably easier for most with wireless etc.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)

because whilst 'apropos' is traditionally the most powerful command on
Unix-like systems it's 'modern' replacement 'apropos' on Linux is a tool
to help psychopaths learn to control their anger.

(Kevin Chadwick)