Hi everyone,

I'm reaching out to you all as the upstream maintainer of Netatalk (and also
co-uploader of the deb package.)

As a quick recap about Netatalk: It is an open source implementation of Apple's
AFP protocol, used for file sharing and other network services for new and old
Macs (and even Apple IIs).

One major issue that this project has dealt with over the last year or so, is
that OpenSSL deprecated DHCAST128 and DES cryptography with their version 3.0
release.
These are used in Netatalk for authentication with old Mac OS clients.

I raised this with the OpenSSL project some time ago, but the current consensus
is that they won't reverse their decision.
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/22158

A few days ago, we released Netatalk 3.2.0 which comes bundled with a
customized subset of WolfSSL as SSL provider.
However, when I spoke to a Debian developer last year about this very topic,
they told me that using WolfSSL for packaged software in Debian required some
kind of special exemption and approval.

Hence this email.

What is the best way to go about this?

Cheers,