On Sunday, June 23rd, 2024 at 6:35 AM, Bernd Zeimetz <be...@bzed.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > A few days ago, we released Netatalk 3.2.0 which comes bundled with a
> > customized subset of WolfSSL as SSL provider.
> > However, when I spoke to a Debian developer last year about this very
> > topic, they told me that using WolfSSL for packaged software in
> > Debian required some kind of special exemption and approval.

Hi Bernd,

> wolfssl is packaged in Debian, did you try to build netatalk with the
> packaged version?
>
> Debian doesn't like code copies in sources, so if it builds fine with
> the packaged version, removing it from the source that ends up in
> Debian will fix all issues.

This is a reasonable request. I did try to build with Debian's WolfSSL
libraries last year.
At the time (September 2023) I concluded that the DES compatibility headers
(des.h etc.) were missing altogether from Debian's WolfSSL package, and
therefore could not be used for this purpose with Netatalk.

Some discussion in https://github.com/Netatalk/netatalk/issues/358

> (I didn't check for licence compabilites and such things, guess you've
> done that already).

All of the original WolfSSL codebase is GPLv2 licensed, which is the same
license that Netatalk uses.
However, a handful of source files (five of them to exact) are licensed under
the traditional SSLeay license.
They constitute key parts of the OpenSSL compatibility layer...

> Hope that helps,
>
> Bernd

It helps very much, thank you!

Sincerely,