Alec,

On Monday, July 1, 2024 5:19:37 PM MST Alec Leamas wrote:
> For Debian users we backport opencpn which works well. However, the
> Ubuntu backport process is, well, interesting (been there, done that).
>
> The PPA represents a much better way to publish backports to current
> Ubuntu branches. But for this to work we need to reset the versioning so
> it works together with the official stream from Debian.
>
> Anyway, seems we have a emerging conclusion that an epoch is a correct
> solution here.

That adds some needed clarification.  I agree that in that circumstance, adding
an epoch is the best way forward.  It allows you to maintain the current
upstream program version number, while unifying the Debian, Ubuntu, and PPA
version numbers in such a way that packages from those repositories can be
used interchangeably.

--
Soren Stoutner
so...@debian.org