Am 2. Juli 2024 01:59:26 MESZ schrieb Alec Leamas <leamas.a...@gmail.com>:
>Soren et. al.,
>
>On 02/07/2024 01:31, Soren Stoutner wrote:
>> Alec,
>>

>> If upstream wants to fix this problem, they could just make their next
>> release
>> version 9000, with the one after that either being 9001 or 9000.1.
>>
>> Or, possibly, they could encourage everyone to uninstall the PPA package
>> before installing an official one.  For example, release a new package to
>> their
>> PPA that displays a message encouraging everyone to uninstall the PPA
>> package,
>> remove the PPA from their list of repositories, and *then* install the
>> official
>> one.
>>
>> As a general rule, I wouldn’t expect a user to keep a PPA package installed
>> when switching to an official package.  There is generally no guarantee that
>> upgrading from a PPA package to an official one will work without errors.
>>
>> Or, once the official package had entered the system, they could instruct
>> users
>> to remove the PPA from their list of repositories and then perform a
>> downgrade.
>>
>> All of that being said, Debian could use an epoch to fix the problem.  Having
>> an epoch on a package isn’t the worst thing that has ever happened.
>>
>So, at least three possible paths:
>
>1. Persuade users to uninstall PPA packages before installing official
>packages and also generation 2 PPA packages with sane versions like 5.10.x
>
>2. Use versions like 9000.5.10, 9000.5.12. etc.
>
>3. Use an epoch.
>
>Of these I would say that 1. is a **very** hard sell upstream. Users are used
>to just update and will try, fail and cause friction.
>
>2. and 3. both adds something which must be kept forever. Given this choice I
>tend to think that the epoch is the lesser evil, mostly because the package
>version could match the "real" version.
>
>That is, the idea that next opencpn release officially would be 9000.5.10 just
>won't fly. 2. would be about using package versions with a number prefix like
>9000. which is not really visible to users.  And that means an impedance
>problem between the upstream version and the packaged one. A problem the epoch
>does not have.
>
>--alec

[Currently on my phone with no direct access to my Debian mail
jre.wine...@gmail.com, but annoying autocorrect and topposting instead]

You may avoid the epoch if upstream is willing to provide a separate package
for about 2 years. (I did something similar to get rid of an epoch in Ubuntu's
wine packages a few years ago, replacing them with our Debian packages):

package 9000.5.10
Depends: package-transition-to-new-versioning

package-transition-to-new-versioning 5.9.2-1

In 2 years:
package-transition-to-new-versioning 5.9.2-2
Depends: package 5.9.2-2

You'll also need some breaks/replaces in Debian's packages.

I might dig out the details later if your interested.