Hi,

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:18:05PM +0100, Christian Kuelker wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 07:31 PM, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:
> > I think the best way to do the migration is completely independent of
> > all changes I proposed:
>
> > * Prepare a list (csv) of all user for every category you use:
> >   students, teachers, etc.
>
> Yes? At some schools the default database are indeed an external
> one. There this might be possible.
>
> However, for universities or large companies - where the users
> seldom change and large changes can be seen in LDAP, I always used
> the LDAP database as authoritative choice.

Sure, but it should be not too complicated to create a list of all
users from ldap.

> Are you really suggesting to build a CSV file from a LDAP server to
> re-import that? Which LDAP attributes should be considered for the
> CVS file?

The simplest one is:

UID, GIVENNAME, SURNAME, PASSWD

one line per user. (You may create a random password for the last
column, print the list on paper, cut strips and hand every strip to
the corresponding user for the first login).

Now with this list, you use the LDAP-manager in GOsa. You are free to
add other attributes and you are able to choose which column has which
meaning. In addition, choose or prepare a template. The data is
applied to that template when imported.

> > * Prepare a (GOsa-) template for each category.
>
> Could you elaborate more on this?

A template in GOsa is a predefined 'user' which defines attributes
that are the same for all users. Currently there is a student and a
teacher template. They differ in group membership. To add a student,
the only thing you have to do is add his given- and family name. The
uid is created (you can use %name etc. variables to fill some
attributes currently for the uid
idGenerator="{%givenName[3-6]}{%sn[3-6]}"  is used. Common attributes
for all users of one category (like default shell) are taken from the
template.

> > * Mass-create all users from the lists. For each category use the
> >   corresponding template.

Yes, that's it. Shouldn't be too much hassle.

Best regards,

    Andi