Am 04.01.2013 13:33, schrieb Ansgar Burchardt:
> Matthias Klose <d...@debian.org> writes:
>> Am 03.01.2013 19:31, schrieb Ansgar Burchardt:
>>> several gcc packages seem to use the gcc source code shipped in
>>> gcc-*-source during build, for example gnat-4.6, gnat-4.7 (in NEW),
>>> gdc-4.6 and gcj-4.6.  To provide the full source, the archive has to
>>> make sure to keep the source for those gcc-*-source packages around even
>>> when they are superseded with a new release.  dak does so when the
>>> binary packages indicate what sources to keep around with the new
>>> Built-Using field (Policy 7.8).
>>>
>>> Could you please add this field to gcc packages that make use of
>>> gcc-*-source?
>>
>> no, it's not needed. the lower and upper limit on the -source package is
>> enough.
>
> It's needed: assume gnat-4.6 is built using gcc-4.6-source 4.6.3-14 and
> later gcc-4.6-source 4.6.4-1 is uploaded.  Then the 4.6.3-14 version
> will go away even though it's part of the source for the gnat-4.6 binary
> still in the archive.
>
> The version constraints in the Build-Depends field do not prevent this
> from happening.

how is this different from a renamed binary package, or a b-d which is removed
from the archive?

I won't change this. Please feel free to open a bug against debian-policy and
subscribe me. The current wording of 7.8 in the footnote 56 suggests that the
exact binary version is recorded, which is not needed for the gnat-*, gcj-*
builds, and seems to be over engineered.