Matthias Klose <d...@debian.org> writes:
> Am 04.01.2013 13:33, schrieb Ansgar Burchardt:
>> It's needed: assume gnat-4.6 is built using gcc-4.6-source 4.6.3-14 and
>> later gcc-4.6-source 4.6.4-1 is uploaded.  Then the 4.6.3-14 version
>> will go away even though it's part of the source for the gnat-4.6 binary
>> still in the archive.
>>
>> The version constraints in the Build-Depends field do not prevent this
>> from happening.
>
> how is this different from a renamed binary package, or a b-d which is removed
> from the archive?

Usually Build-Depends are not part of the source for the package.  Thus
there is no requirement to provide them as part of the source (though
the binaries are not very useful without them).

This differs from using *-source packages during the build (or embedding
binaries like d-i does).

> I won't change this. Please feel free to open a bug against debian-policy and
> subscribe me. The current wording of 7.8 in the footnote 56 suggests that the
> exact binary version is recorded, which is not needed for the gnat-*, gcj-*
> builds, and seems to be over engineered.

Built-Using records source versions used, not binary versions.  It needs
to be an exact version to tell dak which version of the referenced
source package it should keep.  (And that's the only use of this field,
it does not affect installations or anything else.)

You might also want to read ([1], "The extra source case") and [2] (the
item that mentions Built-Using).

  [1] <https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/11/msg00001.html>
  [2] <https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/03/msg00015.html>

Ansgar