In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gervase Markham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
Francesco Poli wrote:

Not-quite-DFSG-free == non-free, even though close to the freeness
boundary == proprietary, even though close to the freeness boundary
 By definition, whatever is not free, is proprietary.

I was using proprietary in what I thought was its fairly common meaning, i.e. closed source, controlled by only one company.

Actually, I wish people would use the word "proprietary" in its proper meaning, ie "the property of someone". Linux is proprietary, because it's copyrighted and owned by people.

Oh - and you know where the "fairly common meaning" came from?

Yes. Our friends at Microsoft - "Windows is open, Unix is proprietary".

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - [EMAIL PROTECTED]