Hi all, I wanted to let you all know about two forthcoming license changes to
MySQL and that I’m available to discuss any questions or concerns.

The two changes are as follows:

- We will be replacing the MySQL FOSS Exception on the Connectors with the
Universal FOSS Exception, a copy of which you’ll find below if you haven’t seen
it previously.  The older MySQL FOSS Exception fails to include many recent
licenses as well as numerous older FOSS licenses for which we believe the
exception should apply but it has not to date, and this will expand our
additional permission to a much broader set of open source packages and
licenses.

- We will be adding OpenSSL to MySQL Community Edition, and are consequently
adding an exception to the GPLv2 to expressly permit linking of things like
OpenSSL that we include even if they’re not GPL compatible.  Note that we
didn’t want to break anything here so we are also going to include an option in
the code to build MySQL CE linked to wolfSSL for those who are building with
third party GPLv2 licensed code and therefore may not be able to take advantage
of the exception.

Feel free to reach out to me if you’d like to discuss.

Regards,
Jim Wright at Oracle

Universal Foss Exception - Draft

In addition to the rights set forth in the other license(s) included in the
distribution for this software, data, and/or documentation (collectively the
"Software," and such licenses collectively with this additional permission the
"Software License"), the copyright holders wish to facilitate interoperability
with other software, data, and/or documentation distributed with complete
corresponding source under a license that is OSI-approved and/or categorized by
the FSF as free (collectively "Other FOSS").  We therefore hereby grant the
following additional permission with respect to the use and distribution of the
Software with Other FOSS, and the constants, function signatures, data
structures and other invocation methods used to run or interact with each of
them (as to each, such software's "Interfaces"):

(i) The Software’s Interfaces may, to the extent permitted by the license of
the Other FOSS, be copied into, used and distributed in the Other FOSS in order
to enable interoperability, without requiring a change to the license of the
Other FOSS other than as to any Interfaces of the Software embedded therein.
The Software's Interfaces remain at all times under the Software License,
including without limitation as used in the Other FOSS (which upon any such use
also then contains a portion of the Software under the Software License).

(ii) The Other FOSS’s Interfaces may, to the extent permitted by the license of
the Other FOSS, be copied into, used and distributed in the Software in order
to enable interoperability, without requiring that such Interfaces be licensed
under the terms of the Software License or otherwise altering their original
terms, if this does not require any portion of the Software other than such
Interfaces to be licensed under the terms other than the Software License.

(iii) If only Interfaces and no other code is copied between the Software and
the Other FOSS in either direction, the use and/or distribution of the Software
with the Other FOSS shall not be deemed to require that the Other FOSS be
licensed under the license of the Software, other than as to any Interfaces of
the Software copied into the Other FOSS. This includes, by way of example and
without limitation, statically or dynamically linking the Software together
with Other FOSS after enabling interoperability using the Interfaces of one or
both, and distributing the resulting combination under different licenses for
the respective portions thereof.

For avoidance of doubt, a license which is OSI-approved or categorized by the
FSF as free, includes, for the purpose of this permission, such licenses with
additional permissions, and any license that has previously been so-approved or
categorized as free, even if now deprecated or otherwise no longer recognized
as approved or free. Nothing in this additional permission grants any right to
distribute any portion of the Software on terms other than those of the
Software License or grants any additional permission of any kind for use or
distribution of the Software in conjunction with software other than Other FOSS.